At last we were on the MIAT flight to Mongolia. I was so anxious and excited. I could hardly get through customs fast enough! Finally I walked through the big double doors where my Gana was waiting for me with flowers! We hugged each other and didn’t want to let go! It had been a long year and three months since we were together. And a long four days trying to get from Los Angeles to Ulaanbaatar. Also there were several of his church members and friends who had been waiting for days to meet me.
We went from the airport to Gana’s flat where I met his mother for the first time. She gave me the Mongolian kisses (kind of like sniffing both cheeks). She was probably more nervous than I was! She had a beautiful table set with Mongolian salads, buuz (steamed dumplings), apples and beautiful little crystal stemware shot glasses. She poured everyone a shot of vodka. Gana whispered to us that we did not have to drink it, but just put it to our lips. His mother made a lovely toast and then I think my dad did as well.
We were so happy. Our trip was filled with meeting church members, going to cell groups, going out to dinner, shopping. In the evenings Gana and I sat in his kitchen gazing at one another—each of us refusing to say that we loved one another and holding back the desire to be in one another’s arms.
One day while in Darhan (the second largest city), Gana had “the talk” with my dad. He wanted to “officially” ask me to marry him. My parents must have been going through a tug-o-war in their hearts. Because we still didn’t know when Gana would get a visa to the States and yet they knew once we were engaged our hearts would be so joined together. They worried about a long and difficult engagement. But, they consented.
The next day we went back to Ulaanbaatar and my dad and Gana went to the U.S. Embassy to inquire about a U.S. visa for Gana. They were there a long, long time. Then the phone rang. It was Gana. He told me what I didn’t want to hear. He was denied a visa. This was the second time he had been denied a visa to the States.
I cried and cried. They came home and we went to get some lunch and do some sightseeing. My heart was not in it. In just four days we would be leaving Mongolia and I would again not know when I would see him again.

A mother hurts when her child hurts.
When Gana didn't get a visa his mother cried.
I lay down in the van, in the depths of despair, while my dad, Gana, and Gana’s best friend were doing some shopping and exchanging money. To me there was no way this day could be redeemed.
Little did I know what was taking them so long in the store.....
3 comments:
That picture can make me cry all over again! You tell your story so vividly that I can feel all the feelings I felt at the time!
I could cry looking at that picture, too!
If I miss anything important in this story, feel free to fill it in in the comment section, Mom!
Since I found your blog, I've been reading. I'll be a constant reader your blog;) Love Story part really made my tears come out:) Nothing stops God's plan and you united...
Have a good time in Mongolia...
Love, Ganchimeg
Post a Comment