
I signed our family up to be bell ringers for the Salvation Army this Christmas season. I decided that there was no way I could take all four children to stand in the sun for two hours at a time. Therefore, I decided the first time to just take Meg and Israel.
I dressed them in Christmas sweaters, but soon it was so hot that they stripped them off. It was all I could do to make them keep on the Santa hats I put on their heads. Although they were sweating, they were cute!
What a plan to let children be fundraisers for charity! So many people stopped and dug out their wallets simply because they said the kids were so cute.
Our shift the day before Thanksgiving started out with plenty of enthusiasm. They loved ringing that bell and were anxiously anticipating their turn! A little friend of Meg’s stopped by and while her mom went shopping for a pie crust she took a turn ringing the bell.
Meg eagerly called out “Happy Thanksgiving” to every person that walked by, regardless of whether they put money in the bucket. When someone came with a bill and were trying to fit it through the slot, Israel would say, “I can put that in for you.” To which most people chuckled and let him fold and shove in the bill himself.
After about 15 minutes of bell-ringing and “Happy Thanksgiving” wishing, Meg handed me the bell and said it was my turn. Then Israel asked how much longer we had to do this. “Only one hour and 45 minutes to go.” That’s not so long.....just three and a half VeggieTales!
I took my turn, but then made them to do the rest. Cruel? I don’t think so.

As they became weary in well-doing, I pulled them aside and talked to them about perseverance and doing one’s best. I reminded them that we were doing this for Jesus and that Jesus deserved our best....all the way to the end! I told them to finish strong!
They got their second wind and rang that bell with gusto! Even when no one was walking by. I’m tellin’ ya, I could still hear that bell ringing the rest of the day. In fact, I can almost hear it now!
One sweet elderly lady was so delighted with their seemingly boundless enthusiasm for bell-ringing, that she gave them each two quarters. They were thrilled!
About five minutes before our shift ended our replacement arrived—a sweet looking older gentleman who told the kids’ what a good job they were doing. I was relieved to see him!
Afterwards we walked to the nearby Subway Restaurant and they kids used their quarters to buy a cookie. They also bought one for their little brother, Luc, who wanted so badly to come along.
We want our children to serve others and to put the needs of others first. And sometimes that will mean sticking with an uncomfortable job, maintaining love and enthusiasm for a job even when the novelty has worn off, and willing to be as fresh in the end as at the beginning. Maybe these lessons are a little much for a 4 and 5 year old, but perhaps not. Perhaps if they learn to be true servants now it will be a way of life for them for the rest of their lives. Most of all, I want them to realize that by serving others out a love and respect they are serving Jesus.
How are you going to serve Jesus this Christmas season? Leave me a comment and let me know! Meg and Israel will love to know what others are doing. And if their service inspires anyone else to serve they will be thrilled!

1 comment:
Dear Daja,
What a great example you are to your kids and to me! I hope someday to be as good a mommy as you. Can't wait to have kids then you can be my "Mommy mentor" :)
I signed up today in church to spend a night working in the ECHO homeless shelter...which is way out of my comfort zone. I might need the talk you gave to Meg and Issy about finishing strong! You can tell Meg and Issy that even though I had already signed up before I read your blog I was very encouraged by their example of service to Jesus and their Auntie is so very proud of them :)
Love MaryBeth
Post a Comment