Before Gana married me I’m sure he never thought he’d be “one of those people.” Well, probably, even more true, is that he didn’t know there were such things as “those people.” Those people who do things all naturally and birth at home. Those husbands who take childbirth classes and don’t even flinch if in everyday conversation the words vagina, mucus plug, or afterbirth are used. The kind of guy who catches his own babies and brags that his wife is exclusively breastfeeding.
Yes, we are “those people” but hopefully without being the stereotype of those people. :-)
As with our homeschooling, when people learn we have natural birth and that we do it at home we hear, “You’re so brave!” “I could never do that!” and so on. As with other things I don't think bravery has anything to do with it.
Let me share with you some of the reasons we have natural home birth.
1. C-sections are at all all-time high in America with birth outcomes hitting new lows. I’m too scared to birth in a hospital.
2. Birth is one of the most incredible things I’ve ever done. I don’t want anyone telling me that I’m doing it wrong, bugging me with stupid questions or even suggesting that I “need something for the pain.”
3. I have a midwife who has faith in the God who designed my body and believes in the birth process.
4. My mother birthed me at home. Just passing on the blessings to my kids!
5. The first sights my baby sees will be my face, my breasts, daddy’s face, his/her siblings, and a room full of people who are rejoicing, rather than a masked doctor’s face and bright hospital lights.
5. The first sights my baby sees will be my face, my breasts, daddy’s face, his/her siblings, and a room full of people who are rejoicing, rather than a masked doctor’s face and bright hospital lights.
6. The first scent my baby smells will be my breasts, rather than a ridiculous plastic bulb syringe shoved up his/her nose.
7. The first sounds my baby hears will be, “Thank you Jesus!” And Daddy’s voice whispering his or her name. It will not be, “Clamps. Scissors. Bulb Syringe.”
8. The first human touches will be Daddy’s, Mommy’s and the midwife’s hands, warm caresses, kisses from the other children, and skin-to-skin snuggles.
9. Medication given to a mother in labor has been found in the baby’s blood stream up to six weeks postpartum. Saying NO to drugs begins at birth for me and my children.
10. Jesus redeemed me and reversed the curse. I believe that painless childbirth is possible. I’ve had one.
11. The pain in the other births I accepted as willingly as I took on the charge that this child is my responsibility and gift from God.
12. As Dr. Bradley said the loving support from a trained coach does more for the comfort and relaxation of his wife than any amount of medication.
13. I want to labor and birth my way……on a birth ball, in a tub of water, slow dancing with my husband, sipping tea and eating fruit and cheese, speaking in tongues, crying out to the Lord, worshipping the God of all creation, letting nature and my child take over my body.
14. When the baby is born I’m already in my bed, with my own clothes, with my own tasty food, with my husband and children snuggled around me. I don't have to be given permission to take my baby home.
15. There are no limits or stipulations on visitors in a home birth that I don’t set myself.
16. I’m already accustomed to the germs in my home so I don’t worry about the bag of water being broken more than 12 hours or a postpartum infection.
17. I don’t have to argue with anyone about my parenting decisions (like no vaccines, no vitamin K shot, etc.)
18. My baby and I can get our chiropractic adjustment from Tio (Sarah-Kate’s husband) the very same day as birth, making us comfortable and healthy from the start!
7. The first sounds my baby hears will be, “Thank you Jesus!” And Daddy’s voice whispering his or her name. It will not be, “Clamps. Scissors. Bulb Syringe.”
8. The first human touches will be Daddy’s, Mommy’s and the midwife’s hands, warm caresses, kisses from the other children, and skin-to-skin snuggles.
9. Medication given to a mother in labor has been found in the baby’s blood stream up to six weeks postpartum. Saying NO to drugs begins at birth for me and my children.
10. Jesus redeemed me and reversed the curse. I believe that painless childbirth is possible. I’ve had one.
11. The pain in the other births I accepted as willingly as I took on the charge that this child is my responsibility and gift from God.
12. As Dr. Bradley said the loving support from a trained coach does more for the comfort and relaxation of his wife than any amount of medication.
13. I want to labor and birth my way……on a birth ball, in a tub of water, slow dancing with my husband, sipping tea and eating fruit and cheese, speaking in tongues, crying out to the Lord, worshipping the God of all creation, letting nature and my child take over my body.
14. When the baby is born I’m already in my bed, with my own clothes, with my own tasty food, with my husband and children snuggled around me. I don't have to be given permission to take my baby home.
15. There are no limits or stipulations on visitors in a home birth that I don’t set myself.
16. I’m already accustomed to the germs in my home so I don’t worry about the bag of water being broken more than 12 hours or a postpartum infection.
17. I don’t have to argue with anyone about my parenting decisions (like no vaccines, no vitamin K shot, etc.)
18. My baby and I can get our chiropractic adjustment from Tio (Sarah-Kate’s husband) the very same day as birth, making us comfortable and healthy from the start!
19. I’ve never had to worry about my babies being switched with someone else’s.
20. No needles. Need I say more about that?!
21. I can give my placenta to my mother so she can plant a tree over it.
22. I’ve been present—body, soul, and spirit—at the birth of all my children. I was never in a drug-induced haze.
23. My bed is bigger than a hospital bed. My husband and I can cuddle the baby together.
24. I can draw strength from the women present who have all done it many times and offer amazing encouragement and support. When else can women bond like they can when together they are welcoming a new baby into the world.
25. After every birth I’ve fallen in love with my husband all over again.
26. Have never worried about having the baby in the car on the way to the hospital.
27. Pregnancy is not an illness and birth is not a procedure.
28. My children know where babies come from and we’ve never had to have “The Talk” and we’ve never had to make stuff up about storks or magic.
20. No needles. Need I say more about that?!
21. I can give my placenta to my mother so she can plant a tree over it.
22. I’ve been present—body, soul, and spirit—at the birth of all my children. I was never in a drug-induced haze.
23. My bed is bigger than a hospital bed. My husband and I can cuddle the baby together.
24. I can draw strength from the women present who have all done it many times and offer amazing encouragement and support. When else can women bond like they can when together they are welcoming a new baby into the world.
25. After every birth I’ve fallen in love with my husband all over again.
26. Have never worried about having the baby in the car on the way to the hospital.
27. Pregnancy is not an illness and birth is not a procedure.
28. My children know where babies come from and we’ve never had to have “The Talk” and we’ve never had to make stuff up about storks or magic.
29. Planned home birth attended by a trained midwife has been shown over and over again to be safe and often safer than hospital birth.
30. I can light as many candles as I want, creating a beautiful, relaxing and natural light. Most hospitals don’t allow free-standing flames.
31. Natural childbirth is cheaper than medicated or surgical childbirth.
32. Homebirth is cheaper than hospital birth.
Maybe other reasons will come to me later. But, writing this list has been very good in getting myself emotionally prepared for what is going to happen sooner than later.
These are MY reasons. Just as I am sure others have their reasons for a hospital, medicated or surgical birth. I wish, though, that more people considered natural childbirth. And for a natural childbirth mother, a home birth is a wonderful option.
30. I can light as many candles as I want, creating a beautiful, relaxing and natural light. Most hospitals don’t allow free-standing flames.
31. Natural childbirth is cheaper than medicated or surgical childbirth.
32. Homebirth is cheaper than hospital birth.
Maybe other reasons will come to me later. But, writing this list has been very good in getting myself emotionally prepared for what is going to happen sooner than later.
These are MY reasons. Just as I am sure others have their reasons for a hospital, medicated or surgical birth. I wish, though, that more people considered natural childbirth. And for a natural childbirth mother, a home birth is a wonderful option.




6 comments:
And I've been there for EVERY single one, and I don't want to miss this one, either!!! :-) I LOVE MY SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!
--sk*
Daja,
Your class was fantastic, and Josh and I can't EVER imagine going back to having a hospital birth (or another epidural) after our amazing, drug free home birth with Amelie.
I had never felt so empowered, humbled, euphoric, or peaceful all at the same time! Unfortunately, during my first birth with Sera I had an epidural, and along with all the other damage epidurals can cause, I realized they numb emotions right along with all the "pain". I will never go back!! I can't wait to hear all about your birth!
#25 is my favorite. So true! Even for this hospital birth mom! :)
What a great entry! I need to do something similar on my own blog since I am planning a home UC. :) When are you due again? I'll look around on your blog to see if it's on there somewhere. :)
Thanks for commenting on my blog from time to time. I'm really bad about keeping up with others' blogs, and usually I do it in large chunks in an effort to "catch up". I'll try to do better. :)
Have a fun, safe, happy birth!
Ah! I see your pregnancy ticker at the top. :) It's coming soon!!!
I have two weeks and five days left. There is a counter in the title section of my blog that is counting down for me. It could be anytime, as three of my four babies have come early. But, I am not really in any hurry!
Thanks for stopping by!
Daja
Post a Comment