Mary Beth and Rob
The reality of the big changes in her life, and therefore my life, is starting to sink in. And this has put me in the mood to meditate on what our friendship means to me. See, we have been friends since we met at a homeschool group when I was just shy of 13 years old. We bonded through our involvement with Teen Missions, 4-H, and homeschool groups. We both raised goats. We had many tea parties together in the early days, which somehow gave way to ice cream binges.A few days before I got married Gana and I had a quarrel and I freaked out. To whom did I run? Mary Beth was there to buy me a bowl of ice cream and walk around the lake with me. She stood with me at my wedding and has stood for my marriage ever since. She was there when my first child was born. She is the godmother to my second child.
When she comes over I don't frantically try to pick up the house before she gets here. If I don't talk to her for a week I miss her, but am never offended that she hasn't called me. We can disagree with one another and it doesn't phase the friendship in the least. She forgives me for being over-zealous about my soapbox issues and she challenges me to stand up for what I believe by asking me tough questions. I can be myself with her and never shock her.
Through my friendship with Mary Beth I have strengthened my relationship with Jesus, because our friendship has shown me something of His character.
"Tenderness is what happens to you when you know you are deeply and sincerely liked by someone. If you communicate to me that you like me, not just love me as a brother in Christ, you open up to me the possibility of self-respect, self-esteem, and wholesome self-love. Your acceptance of me banishes my fears. My defense mechanisms--sarcasm, aloofness, name-dropping, self-righteousness, giving the appearance of having it all together--start to fall. I drop my mask and stop disguising my voice. You instill self-confidence in me and allow me to smile at my weaknesses and absurdities. The look in your eyes gives me permission to make the journey into the interior of myself and make peace with that part of myself, where I could never find peace before. I become more open, sincere, vunerable, and affectionate. I too grow tender." (Brennan Manning)
There's nothing like a childhood friendship that has grown into a deep and abiding sense of belonging.
I could not be happier for you, Mary Beth. Your joy is my joy. Even though you will be far away, you will never be far from my thoughts. There will always be two teacups on my table.
Me and Mary Beth when we were about 15 years old.
7 comments:
OH MY GOSH..I had NO idea that THIS is the Mary Beth you always talk about!!! I worked with her for 2 years at Little Lambs!!!! (From 2000-2002) CRAZY!! Congrats Mary Beth!!!!!!!
I just re-read this post and I got choked up thinking about my best friend, who has been my best friend since I was 6. She's having her first baby (a homebirth-yay!) any day now..and I feel like I can relate to so much you posted:)
Hi Daja! I came over to visit your blog since you stopped by mine! :] I LOVE the stories about the kids and the romance between you and Gana! How sweet!
Having a best friend like that for almost forever is a real *blessing*. We always moved every year or so when I was a kid, so I don't have that. I hope you're able to keep in touch with Mary Beth after she leaves!
Blessings!
Mrs. C.
Thank you, Mrs. C. I have a feeling we will stay close in spite of the miles! We stayed close even when I lived in Mongolia for a few years after I got married. It's a lot easier to travel to Canada than Mongolia! :-)
Daja
PS Thanks for stopping by!
What a joy to hear of another new covenant family starting out down the journey of life together before the Lord. Jenny K. had mentioned that Mary Beth was getting married--we were so happy to hear the news, how God brought them together, and now to see a picture on your blog! : ) Did you get to attend the wedding?
In Christ,
Rebecca
Rebecca,
Yes, it really is a joy!
I did attend the wedding. In fact, I was the maid of honor and Israel was the ring bearer. I'll try to post some pictures of the wedding soon. It was outside at Atascadero Lake. It was a beautiful day for a wedding....perfect weather!
Hi Daja! This is such a beautiful friendship you have with her since childhood. What a strong bond when the Lord is involved! I have no doubt that you two will just pick up where you left off when you get together again!
Bless you!
Minoska
Post a Comment