Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Monday, November 19, 2007

Book Meme

"I understand the average American watches four hours of television a day. That's 28 hours a week. I also understand the average American reads 250 words per minute. Therefore, if the average American would turn off the television set and spend those 28 hours a week reading, he could read all the poems of T.S. Eliot, all the poems of Maya Angelou, two plays by Thornton Wilder, including Our Town, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and all 150 Psalms in the Old Testament. That's all in one week. My advice to you graduates is read, read, read." (David McCullough to a class of University of Massachusetts graduates)

I've been tagged by Andrea.

My Current Reading List:
And The Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer (interesting, but slow moving)

In The Shadow of the Galilean by Gerd Thiesen

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (I'm reading it to Meg)

Wisdom with the Millers (reading it to all the kids each morning)

Total number of books in my library:
I seriously have no idea. A bunch of my books are still in Mongolia. I do have book shelves in every room of my house, including the bathroom.

Last book finished:
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquire (terribly disappointing)

Last book bought:
I cannot think of one. I use the library a lot. The last book I bought was probably something for Gana's exegetical method class. Loads of fun.

Five Meaningful Books: (besides the Bible)
Fascinating Womanhood by Helen Andelin (I've read it more times than I can count!)

The Pastor's Wife by Sabina Wurmbrand (Inspiring and challenging!)

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (A must read for every Christian!)

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence (How I aspire to live my life.)

A Promise Kept by Robertson McQuilken (What everyone who thinks they are in love should read...especially before getting married. Moved me to tears.)

Five Favorite Books:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

An Arrow Pointing To Heaven (the biography of Rich Mullins)

You Are Special by Max Lucado (A child’s books that ministers to a deep place in my soul.)

Looking at this list, I can't believe I didn't list anything by Brennan Manning or No Compromise by Keith Green! If there was another category for favorite authors I'd put them there.

Thanks Andrea! That was fun! I tag Mary Beth, Starr, Alicia, Karen Joy, and Jenee. Oh, and if I can talk him into doing it, I also tag, Gana!

6 comments:

Starr said...

Little women and P&P would totally be on my list of favs as well! When I found out I would be having a little girl, I was also so excited I would have someone to read Little House on the Prairie to. :-) My list of favs is hard...I will be pondering this until we get back home to Lubbock. In Oklahoma visiting family this week!

Flo Paris said...

CS Lewis seems to find his way on to EVERYONE'S list!
Also, I was REALLY close to putting Jane Eyre on as a favorite.
My mom gave me that Keith Green book and I know I would love it-I'll be starting it soon. Gotta love his fro on the cover!

Emily said...

I would never have known how many people have been influenced by Keith Green! Reading his biography was one of the pivotal points in my faith when I was 16.

Claire said...

I'm reading C.S. Lewis' "Surprised by Joy." I can't wait to meet the man in heaven - he puts into words so much that I cannot!!!

I like so many books that I'm not sure I could actually boil it down to my top five, or even top 10!

Anonymous said...

It would aggravate the hound out of me to have books I owned living 1/2-way around the world. (Having family there helps, I am sure.) I get perturbed with myself because I haven't unpacked all my books from our last move (almost four years ago)!

It is so hard to pick favorites, isn't it? I think Erma Bombeck once said that a mother's favorite child is the one who needs her most at that minute. My favorite books are the ones that are speaking to me right then or always speak to me whenever I pick them up.

I enjoy your blog very much! Keep it up.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your loved ones.

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness!

I do love to be tagged.

But this one requires a lot of thought... My brain feels fried at the moment, unable to really think.

I will do the meme, but it may take me a bit. Hopefully by next week, OK?