I am a maker. I make lots of stuff.
I make breakfast.
Today it was oatmeal. I don’t like boring oatmeal, though. Usually I add some dried fruit, coconut, peanut butter, cinnamon, sliced apple, wheat germ or whatever else strikes my fancy. It’s my first act of love towards my family each day. I don’t know if they perceive “oatmeal = love” but their good health shows it.
I make lunch.
Today it was tomato soup and toast. Pity I didn’t have enough cheese on hand. My favorite lunch is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Mmmmmmm….
I make my kids take a nap.
Yes, I’m a nap maker. And often a nap taker. Sleep is essential to a happy and healthy life. Children don’t always get enough sleep—especially when they spend the first two hours that they are in bed at night giggling and making a tent out of the blankets. My kids take naps. Even the older ones must have down time and sit quietly each afternoon. If not they fall asleep in their dinner bowl, as demonstrated by Captain.
I make breakfast.
Today it was oatmeal. I don’t like boring oatmeal, though. Usually I add some dried fruit, coconut, peanut butter, cinnamon, sliced apple, wheat germ or whatever else strikes my fancy. It’s my first act of love towards my family each day. I don’t know if they perceive “oatmeal = love” but their good health shows it.
I make lunch.
Today it was tomato soup and toast. Pity I didn’t have enough cheese on hand. My favorite lunch is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Mmmmmmm….
I make my kids take a nap.
Yes, I’m a nap maker. And often a nap taker. Sleep is essential to a happy and healthy life. Children don’t always get enough sleep—especially when they spend the first two hours that they are in bed at night giggling and making a tent out of the blankets. My kids take naps. Even the older ones must have down time and sit quietly each afternoon. If not they fall asleep in their dinner bowl, as demonstrated by Captain.
I don't make them all sleep in a heap. They do that on their own.
I make dinner.
Dinner is not eaten out of a box, standing over the sink or in front of the TV. Dinner is eaten at the table, a candle lit, grace said
together, conversation, and “Please pass the peas.” I make dinner everyday. It doesn’t come out of a box or the frozen section of the market. Dinner is a way to show my family that I want to end the day together, as one. Dinner deserves garnish and serving dishes and cloth napkins.
Dinner is not eaten out of a box, standing over the sink or in front of the TV. Dinner is eaten at the table, a candle lit, grace said
Poori, Curried Cauliflower and Rice
I make “good stuff.”
When my husband is unwinding at night he says, “Got anything good?” He is not asking for a sandwich or carrot sticks. He wants a piece of cake, some crème puffs, pie, brownies, rice pudding or something “good.” We end our day just him and me, watching something on TV or reading a book and eating something “good” and drinking tea. It’s our ritual.
I make up songs.
I sing to my family. It needn’t make any sense, either. “All my kids are made of sugar. All my kids are made of spice. I just want to hug and kiss them. They are very, very nice.” It makes the kids laugh. And so I sing on. “Your just as sweet and sugar and as good as pie! I think that I might cry if you left me!”
I make time.
Life is always busy. There is always something that needs doing rather than going to the park or reading one book more. There will always be chores that need doing, papers that needs filing, correspondence to answer. If I don’t make time, there won’t be time. So sometimes you have to just go for it….turn off the phone and play a board game. It won’t really matter in five years that I was caught up on my email. But, it will matter that I’ve played with my kids.
When my husband is unwinding at night he says, “Got anything good?” He is not asking for a sandwich or carrot sticks. He wants a piece of cake, some crème puffs, pie, brownies, rice pudding or something “good.” We end our day just him and me, watching something on TV or reading a book and eating something “good” and drinking tea. It’s our ritual.
I make up songs.
I sing to my family. It needn’t make any sense, either. “All my kids are made of sugar. All my kids are made of spice. I just want to hug and kiss them. They are very, very nice.” It makes the kids laugh. And so I sing on. “Your just as sweet and sugar and as good as pie! I think that I might cry if you left me!”
I make time.
Life is always busy. There is always something that needs doing rather than going to the park or reading one book more. There will always be chores that need doing, papers that needs filing, correspondence to answer. If I don’t make time, there won’t be time. So sometimes you have to just go for it….turn off the phone and play a board game. It won’t really matter in five years that I was caught up on my email. But, it will matter that I’ve played with my kids.
I am one of those strange women that love being pregnant. I really do. I’ve made five babies and have enjoyed each of my pregnancies. It’s nice to never be alone. To carry a little bundle of warmth and love with me wherever I go. To feel that wee one wiggling and squirming and communicating with me, even from the inside. I love it.
I make my kids do chores.
I’m a mean Mama! Even the two year old has chores. I figure that I’m the manager of this house, not the maid. It’s not my job to do it all, but just to make sure that it gets done.
I make money.
Yep, I do! I’ve made $200 so far with ads on this blog. If you’ve clicked, I thank you! I teach childbirth classes one evening a week. I take a few doula clients a year. I sell Gana’s used books on the internet. The little extra money I make lets us have some fun. I try to save it for special occasions.
I make memories.
We don’t give our kids a lot of “stuff.” They don’t have all the latest toys or video games. But, we have given them lots of memories. We like to do things together—camping, biking, playing on the beach, riding the train, crafts and projects. Sometimes the memories are just plain silly. Attacking Daddy with water guns when he gets home from work or playing in the mud.
The Santa Ana Zoo, before Belgee was born.
I make messes.
Seriously. I might try to blame the mess on the children from time to time. But, don’t you believe it for a minute. Most of the mess is mine. And when I get inspired to create something or to accomplish a project there’s no stopping me. The rest of the house can go to pieces, but I have something cool or at least mildly amusing to show for it at the end of the day.
Christmas Baking with TiTi!
I make granola.
Yes. I make my own granola. Does that make me a hippy? Maybe. Do I care? No.
Of all the things I make it’s nice to know that really I’m only making one thing. I’m making a home.
I am a homemaker. A missionary from Norway to Mongolia once told me that she loved that word. Homemaker. She said she didn’t have anything equivalent in her language. “What a lovely thing, to make a home” she said. I think she’s right. It’s a title I wear with pride and pleasure.
I am a full-time homemaker.
14 comments:
Were the peas frozen in a box ??? ;) Sorry for the sarcasm it was a long day :) I make my own granola and I am about as un-hippy as you can get (Except maybe for the flared jeans that I am wearing right now and hey they were $3 at the thrift store and most importantly they fit!) You are a wonderful maker and even more importantly you reflect your maker to others! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and how much love you have for your family!
Awww... I'm jealous! I never learned this stuff! I can run a vacuum though. And I can make the macaroni and cheese as long as it comes from a box.
Mrs. C
This is great Daja...the celebration of homemaking. What a noble thing! And isn't it sad to think about how many of the things you listed--and just "making" in general, is almost a lost practice.
We make very little these days except sad children and broken homes.
OK, maybe that's a little cynical, but, you know!
I just discovered your blog from Flo's page, and I love this post. I am a happy homemaker too. I loved reading all the things you make, because our list could be almost identical. Have you read the "Hidden Art of Homemaking" by Edith Schaeffer? You would enjoy it.
Keep making!
Yes, I've read that book. Isn't it inspiring?! Love it!
Thanks for stopping by! Please come back soon!!!
A simply lovely entry. I loved your beach photo as well. My favorite is making time. Oh, that is a hard one to remember. Even when you are in the home all day, it is easy to still not make time for the kids. I feel daddy is so good at it, I need to get better. Most of my time with them is school, and story books. My hope is to do more cooking with them and that way we can be making something I would have made anyway!
You're not mean, I make my kids do chores too. Even Caedmon has to put the silverware away and feed the fish.
I adore this post. Thanks so much. I am praying heavily right now to fall in love with homemaking. It's coming slowly! After much prayer I have gotten into a rhythm and routine of a cleaning pattern that works for me, and my home is much more peaceful. My next goal (not immediate, but in the not too distant future!) is to embrace cooking and healthy eating on a budget. I feel really insecure in the kitchen, but I know it will just take practice. With His help I can do it!
You made me cry. The Hidden Art of Homemaking!
You probably also "Make" Love but I guess you didn't want to mention that....;O))
Very cute. I enjoy making things too. I also am a big song singer and maker. If I don't ahve a song that fits I will make one up, just ask my family.
I enjoyed your blog.
Blessings,
Debbie aka The Real World Martha
http://realworldmartha.wordpress.com
Loved this post!
Michelle
This really is a great post...and I realize it was added in to the blog party even though it was written a couple of years ago...I get that...very cool way to introduce yourself! I enjoyed reading it. :)
Welcome to Michelle's 2009 blog party! Very nice to "meet" you!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Blessings,
Camille
I'm coming by for the blog party. I loved this post! You are doing a terrific job as a mother and homemaker. It sounds like we have a lot in common!
Blessings,
Stacie
Stopping by for the blog party! I absolutely loved this creative post. You seem like a very interesting person.
God Bless,
Jackie
Post a Comment