Although our whole Christmas was not homemade (Israel got a DVD, Luc a Nerf gun, and Meg a hand-held PRINCESS(!) video game) I did accomplish quite a lot of homemade presents this year. I'm immensely pleased with myself, not necessarily because of the quality of the work, but because I actually finished these things by Christmas day!
These first ones are felt food toys. I gave these to my friend Jenee's children. One of her girls, Zaia, is our god-daughter. These were so fun to make! I may make some more just because I enjoyed the process so much. And the kids loved the results so much! :-)
Homemade Kahlua for a few special friends:
Felt book of colors and shapes for Belgee:
Can and beanbag game. We made two sets. One for Captain and one for Luc.
Homemade memory games tiles. Memory of Memories!
There are pictures of favorite Mongolian food, the Candyland cake, and family members.
Captain, holding a memory tile with his Emee's (Mongolian grandmother) picture.
13 comments:
I just LOVE the pictures, Daja!! The food basket is the BEST!! I have to ask what the pink round things are though. I recognize the pancakes and eggs, etc. right away but I'm at a total loss on the pink things.
Ham circles for muffins, maybe??
Bet it took months of planning to pull all this off!!
They are sugar cookies. I couldn't get the pictures to turn out very well. There are sugar "sprinkles" on top. They are cute in real life, but not so much in the photo.
Did you have a pattern or something for that food, or did that idea just come from inside your brain? I don't have that type of creative juice floating around inside my head. I would love to try and copy your food though! Hand stitched? Sewing machine? Email me some simple directions if you have time! Love it!!!
Thanks, Starr!
I don't have a pattern. I saw a website a few months ago that sold wool felt food. It was expensive, but so cute. So, I decided to make my own. Squares of felt are only 20 cents at the craft store.
So, I just cut the desired shapes, filled it with some batting and used embroidery thread to stitch it up. On some of the edges I used a blanket stitch and some a running stitch.
The pancakes, butter, cookies, apple, ice cream cone, egg yolks, hamburger and hotdog and buns are stuffed.
The toppings for the burger (lettuce, pickle, cheese, etc.), the fries, and bacon are not.
Basically I just played around with things until they looked right.
I got the picnic basket at the thrift store.
I hope that helps somewhat!
Daja, I love the felt food idea. I can get the materials here pretty cheap. Maybe I'll work on this for Abi's birthday in March. I wanted to get her a play kitchen set but I like these much better. =)
What great ideas! I am especially interested because I have a goal to make most of our gifts next year. The memory game would be an excellent idea for my nephew and the play food for my daughter, though it may be hard to hide it from her while I make it. Any ideas for older girls say 8-11 ish?
Really enjoyed my visit with you:o)
Great job! I made a lot of things this year too, and plan to make some felt food for the kids soon. Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas!
Great ideas!!! Thanks for sharing!
Those felt food toys are AMAZING. Oh my gosh. I am soooo making those.
Incredible.
Great pictures! I thought of you on Christmas eve...I thought of you having a Christmas eve picnic infront of your tree. Did you do that this year? I wanted to but I made too fancy of a meal to sit on the floor eat it (needed a knife and fork)...hee hee!
Happy New Year!
~Amy
I love your felt foods. It made me think of something. You may want to add these later on especially if you still feel you are on a roll:). I once saw a cute idea of taking felt and makeing a buildable pizza. You just cut a light brown circle w/ a little smaller red one for the sauce. Then, you make all kinds of shapes for toppings. Strips of yellow for cheese, circles for peperoni, etc. It was so cute and they got a unused pizza box from the pizza place (a small size) to keep it in. I am actually thinking of doing this myself next year for a gift for my nephews.
Your creations are adorable!
Awesome Daja!!
I made a lot of homemade gifts this year too!! I will post some pics on my blog one of these days!!
I did some felt work too... it was my first time!
I LOVE THE FOOD!! AND THE MEMORY GAME IS AWESOME! I may steal those ideas some day! Hugs!
i love the food especially the pancakes and eggs and bacon!! you did a great job!
Post a Comment