Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

7 Weird Things About Me Meme

Claire, my homeschooling buddy, has tagged me for a Meme. Here are the ground rules: Simply link to the person who tagged you. SHARE SEVEN WEIRD things about yourself. Tag SEVEN bloggers to do the same AND include a link to their blog.

The trick here for me is to limit it to seven!

1. I am double jointed. I can bend my fingers just at the top knuckle and bend the middle knuckle the opposite direction. (I tried to take a picture, but it didn't turn out so well. I'll leave it to your imagination.) I can also pop my thumb, shoulders and legs out of their sockets. It's not pretty--but sort of fun.

2. I don't like traditional Thanksgiving food. Sweet potatoes/yams loaded with sugar and marshmallows? Gross! Green bean casserole is a waste of good green beans. And don't get me started on stuffing. Seriously...let's be honest...all it is is soggy bread.

3. I don't like talking on the phone. I don't like calling people on the phone. I'm always sure I'm interrupting their lives. They are probably in the middle of dinner, an engrossing conversation, reading a great book, kissing their spouse, prayer, or an art project. Maybe I just assume people lead more interesting lives than they actually do. Maybe people are just sittin' on the couch eatin' corn chips. But, still.....you never know. Which is why you are much more likely to receive an email from me than a phone call.

4. Believe it or not, I actually changed the time my childbirth class started in order for it to be finished in time so I could watch Heroes. Pathetically addicted.

5. I can never remember how to spell convenient. It is the most inconvenient word to type. Spell check always fixes it for me.

6. I loved my first grade teacher so much that I didn't even go out to recess unless she was on yard duty. When she stayed in so did I. I helped her correct papers. Her name was Mrs. Fisher and she was great.

7. I once had a paper cut on my eye when I was in first grade. (I was passing out test papers for a beloved teacher. See #6.) I kid you not. The doctor put some medicine in it and put a patch over it for two days. During that lovely period I got an insatiable itch in my eye. I told my parents that I had an eyelash in my eye. They said it was just the cut healing and to leave it alone. Two days later the doctor removed the patch and examined my eye. "Oh, my!" he said, "You have an eye lash in there! Didn't that bother you?" No, I obviously have not forgiven my parents for those two days of torture. I will be thinking of it when I pick out their nursing homes.

I tag: Lady Dorothy (my mom) at Daffodil Dreams, Alicia at Shoot for Eternity, Mrs. C. at Homeschool and Etc., Starr at Lost in Laundry, Melanie at My Life in Mongolia, Trina at Beans and Trees...and Elephants, and Amy at Ke Aloha.

9 comments:

Amy Fox said...

Daja,

Eeew about your double jointedness. My youngest is like that also. She can bend backwards and touch the floor or lay on her stomach and her feet come over and head and touch her mouth. She likes to show people because it grosses/amazes them.

I'm the same about calling people. What if they aren't awake yet or they have just gone to bed. Plus I find e-mail easier because of the kids are driving me nuts I can stop the e-mail and go deal with them...unlike when I'm on the phone (sounds like a circus is going on in her house). :)

~Amy

Starr said...

Okay, I tried to think of 7 strange things. The problem is all my strange things are really strange...not just cute strange like yours!

Claire said...

I KNEW you were an anti-phone person! I just knew. :-)

Man, your folks must have felt really bad when they realized you did have an eyelash in there!

Reminds of when Michael broke his leg on a trampoline. My brother insisted he was faking the crying., and that he had just strained his knee. The next day, after the x-ray, I called my brother from the E.R. and as soon as he answered, I said, "IT'S BROKEN!!!!" He felt so bad...hehehehe.

Thank you so much for doing my meme! :-)

Tamera - aka TJ said...

Not love Thanksgiving meal? ooooh, but it is sooooo healthy and wonderful! NOT! Really, I'm not one to like the sweet potato casserole either, but I do LOVE string bean casserole topped with CHEESE (makes it oh-so-yummy) and a good CORNBREAD stuffing. I also love cranberry sauce and FRIED turkey (not baked here) served with some mashed potatoes and gravy. Yummy! Good thing I decided to lose some weight AFTER all that food we ate. :)

Alicia said...

I agree with you on the phone thing. I don't like that either. My thoughts are just so scattered with the craziness going on around me. I concentrate better writing or one on one visiting.
I will try to get to the meme soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same about my phone usage, too!!! I'd so rather e-mail. Usually. For mundane things, anyways.

About Thanksgiving -- I hate most of those 50s "traditional" dishes, too, so I adapt them to my own tastes. I cube yams and sprinkle them w/ a bit of brown sugar, allspice, salt, and then dab with organic shortening (it used to be butter, until we went dairy-free). I also was a profound hater of stuffing, but this past T'giving, I made up a quinoa-based one that was chock-full of veggies and it was *really* good.

About the double-jointed thing... Well, I must admit that that makes me nervous, because it's often a marker of Marfan Syndrome (which is a genetic connective tissue disorder), which my mother and two sibs have. Not that *everyone* who is loose-jointed has Marfan's, but many do. We were all impressed with my sister's ability to wrap her leg around the back of her neck, well into her 20s, until we realized that Marfan's was at the heart of her abilities. :(

Gombojav Tribe said...

Hey, Karen! I'll take that quinoa recipe. Maybe I'll discover a stuffing I like!

And about the Marfan Syndrome....I refuse to claim any syndrome in Jesus' Name!

rex & molly stevens said...

i don't think obsession with heroes is pathetic....i'm on board with you. LOVE that show. miss you at the office. good to hear from you.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Heyyy... I have my meme done, except I didn't tag anyone because I'm JUST LIKE YOU on the calling thing except I'm like that with memes LOL!