Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

This feeling of love in the air...

I love Valentine's Day. But, I love holidays in general. I like St. Patrick's Day, the first day of Spring, Father's and Mother's Days, Passover, Easter, and National Library Week. I really do like to observe things. The more the better, I say! Life has enough mundane. Life could use more out-of-the ordinary to offset how very ordinary and daily the days are.

But, I really do love Valentine's Day. What other day can you hand out heart-shaped candy, give love notes to the neighbors, not be thought strange to be decked out in pink from head-to-toe and have a excuse to make silly crafts with glue, glitter and an inordinate number of stickers? This is seriously a silly holiday.

But, how great it is to have a day to acknowledge love? God is Love! What better day to openly and unashamedly and almost giddily acknowledge your love for God and God's love for you?!


"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you."
John 15:12


As is our little family tradition, we have made a basketfull of Valentine's Day cards that share John 3:16. Tomorrow we will deliver them to all the neighbors or people on the street until they are all gone! What fun!

To be honest, one thing bothers me about Valentine's Day. What could that be you ask? The increasing apathy about it. This year I have heard wives say that they are not expecting anything because their husbands just aren't romantic like that. I've heard husband's say they are too busy or that their wives aren't into it so it's all the better for them. I've heard parents bow out of school Valentine's Day parties because their kids were too old for this sort of thing or just not interested. I've heard couples not doing anything because they don't have the money. And on and on and on.

And here's what I think:

It doesn't matter if you are not into Valentine's Day. It doesn't matter if you don't want to receive a bunch of over-glued and lacey homemade cards. It doesn't matter if you don't like chocolate or message heart candy.

Valentine's Day is not about receiving love. It's about GIVING love.

It's about showing others that they are loved and important and that you value them. It's about giving, not about getting. I don't care who you are, you want to hear that message and I bet you'd put up with a few pink-heart stickers to hear it, too.

I don't even think it matters if your spouse is into it or even very romantic. I think that whichever spouse is game, that person should bring romance to life. If you love wine and roses, you get it and treat your honey to a romantic evening. Both of you will benefit, even if it's not technically "your job." And it doesn't matter if you don't have extra money. Why not cuddle up on the sofa and watch your wedding video together? How about a tub of ice cream and two spoons? It needn't be extravagant or expensive. It just needs to be genuine.


"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring
each other." Romans 12:10


I think when I've been married 50 years I'll still be making homemade cards for Gana and buying boxers with hearts all over them. When my kids become "too old for this sort of thing" they will still have to put up with ol' Mom showering them with Hershey kisses and serenading them at dawn. They will always been worthy of it, so I will always do it.

And I hope to instill in them that regardless of their feelings about receiving the message, they must put another's needs first and give the message: God loves you. I love you.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Oh, one more thing: Remember that God is passionately in love with you.

3 comments:

Starr said...

Lauryn has so much pink on today it looks like Valentine's Day threw up all over her. Love it!

Alicia said...

Here, Here! :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, SWEE-PEA!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

-- Swee*