
As if the fact that he protected infanticide in this country is not enough to keep you from voting for him (if you still don't know what I'm talking about go here and here and here and here and here) how do you feel about a tax on stay-at-home-moms? (Thank you to Mama Says for bringing this important point to our attention!)
From Mama Says: "A certain presidential candidate wants to tax the rich, to help pay for universal healthcare.
He defines "rich" as a family making more than $100k per year. Essentially, that's two people making average salaries - $50k each.
It's also essentially a tax on SAHM's. How so? Two income families can change their filing. They can file "married filing separately". Their household will bring in $100k, but they will pay taxes on two $50k salaries.
A family with a SAHM can't do that. They rely on one income, and must pay taxes on $100k. They will pay more taxes than the two income family, even though the actual money put into the bank is the same.
Tell me how that's fair?
Meanwhile, he will expand tax credits for working families with childcare expenses. Will the mothers who care for their own children get a tax credit? No, they'll pay higher taxes. In fact, his website proclaims over, and over again that Obama (who else would it be?) will help make daycare better (while ignoring families struggling to keep their children out of daycare.)"
I listened to Obama's speech tonight. I heard over and over during this DNC how McCain is out-of-touch with average middle-class America (and they are probably right!) and how Obama is so in-touch with the average middle-class American.
Pardon my incredulousness, but I do not think Obama has a pea-sized understanding of what millions of American families go through. Families just like mine (and if you follow my blog, likely like yours) who live off one income, striving to keep our children out of day-cares and after-school programs, striving to keep them at home in our full-time care.
Families like mine are the norm. We are the foundation of this society. Children were meant to be raised by parents not institutions. Parenting is the job of the Moms and Dads not the government.
Yet in Obama's world (so very "in-touch"), government institutions are "essential" for children being ready for school. From Obama's website: "Zero to Five Plan: Obama's comprehensive "Zero to Five" plan will provide critical support to young children and their parents. Unlike other early childhood education plans, Obama's plan places key emphasis at early care and education for infants, which is essential for children to be ready to enter kindergarten. Obama will create Early Learning Challenge Grants to promote state "zero to five" efforts and help states move toward voluntary, universal pre-school....Affordable, High-Quality Child Care: Obama will also provide affordable and high-quality child care to ease the burden on working families. "
So my husband's hard-earned money, heavily taxed,--earned so that I can stay home and raise the children we produced--can go to pay for someone else's child to eat gold-fish crackers and watch Sesame Street while they get a tax break.
Does that seem so in-touch with middle-class America? I think not.
Obama said at a fundraising dinner in 2007, “I don't want to send another generation of American children to failing schools. I don't want that future for my daughters. I don't want that future for your sons. I do not want that future for America.”
So, his answer to the failing schools is to send kids to school earlier. If something is failing, we just need more of it, right? Does that seem unreasonable to anyone else?
Stay-at-home-moms and those who want to be and those who are married to us, we need to stand up and make our voices heard. If we don't, we'll find our lifestyles eroded one tax-hike and one socialist plan at a time. We'll wake up one day and wonder what happened to our country.
If you wear your apron and you vote, make your voice heard!
9 comments:
We have to stop listening without fulling thinking through what has been said. And what the ramifications are to what has just be said.
Good post! Thank you for helping us think it through.
American politicians sound more Hitler-esque all the time, don't they?
"When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."
- Adolph Hitler
If we don't educate our children in human rights, including the right to educate at home, we will be subject to the whims of the government.
Have mercy on the United States, Lord God.
Dear Daja... Slightly OT, but what do you think about McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as VP?? I, personally, think it's brilliantly fantastic. I'm interested in your thoughts on Mrs. Palin.
I am posting this to my blog! So good and so important. I'm sad to say I have a few Christian friends who are planning on voting for Obama because they think he is a "nice family man" who is a "good speaker."
In a word, No. (NO! no! no!!!)
Anyway - thank you, right on as usual!
I, too, am looking forward to your insights on Palin.
Hey, I'd rather have the married-workings have some sort of tax break than have them want to live together and not get married? Just a thought. BUT I'm following yours, too. I wish we just had a plain old simple tax that was fair, but fairness is NOT what government wants LOL!
Re: Sarah Palin as VP.
I don't know a lot about her. I can't say that I knew anything about her before McCain picked her. BUT, the more I hear about her, the more I like her.
I was on-the-fence about voting for McCain. But, now, I think I will vote for him. What if in four or eight years she runs for president? We could have the first woman president who is actually a conservative! WOW!
People have been bashing on her lack of experience. But, I don't think they are comparing apples-to-apples. She is the ONLY one on the Republican or Democratic ticket who has experience in the executive branch of government. All the rest--Obama, Biden and McCain have experience only in the legislative branch. So, if we compare like-to-like she has the most experience this election!
I may blog about it more as I gather more information. So far, though, I'm really optimistic!
I'm...not 100% onboard with Palin, y'all. She's a mother of young children, one with Down's Syndrome. I'm torn. Equality for women is one thing; purposely and pointedly taking on a career that (in my humble opinion) is not family friendly is another. I love that she spared her son's life (when she found out he had Down's before he was born)...but then, that was the right thing to do, so she doesn't really deserve sainthood for it. I don't know a lot about her, and I will admit that. But, I do know that mothers should put their families first. Do you really think if her child is raging a fever, and the country is in a crisis, the child will come first? *sigh* I'm totally struggling with this. I will vote for McCain, since the other choice is so against my beliefs. But, I do not necessarily think a woman as President is a good thing either, so I hope McCain stays alive (if he even wins the election).
But, let's not forget that Obama has little children, too. Children need their dads to be involved in their lives. How involved and hands-on can Obama be if he is president?
Ideally, I don't think someone with little children should be president. But, as we have two less then ideal tickets, I like the McCain-Palin ticket...so far, that is.
Great post. You're absolutely right. I didn't know all these things about Obama. Course I knew plenty enough not to vote for him. Lord have mercy. Preschool children belong at home and all the research confirms that. Guess the truth doesn't matter to him.
Post a Comment