Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pregnancy Inspiration


This letter is one of the finest pieces of advice on pregnancy I've read in a long time. It has motivated me to put together my own list of pregnancy inspiration.



1. Each pregnancy is unique. Even if you have 10 children, don't ever assume that you'll get this moment back. So, enjoy it. Don't wish it away. Take the swollen ankles, the heartburn, and the itchy skin in stride. It won't last forever. Right now you can keep your baby safe and warm and right under your heart. This won't always be so. Enjoy it.






2. Don't keep trying to squeeze into your pre-pregnancy clothes. The moment you're in the least uncomfortable switch to maternity clothes. You should be comfortable while you are pregnant. Haute couture can wait. Right now, expect to see me in a muumuu and loving every minute of it.


3. Spend some time of every day relaxing. Lay in bed and read a great book, sit in the bath tub until you turn into a raisin, lay on the grass in the sunshine and dream, watch a sappy old movie you've seen a hundred times and don't stifle the tears. You may think that you are too busy to find time to relax each day. Well, you have to make it a priority. And when you're tempted to feel guilty for sitting in a coffee shop with your feet up sipping a cup of chai and flipping through Victoria, just tell yourself that you are doing it for the baby.


4. Indulge in the foods you love and crave. I'm not saying devour an entire family-sized bag of Sweet Maui Onion Potato Chips. I am saying not to deprive yourself of the things you love. I just finished off two glasses of milk and about four extra-gooey chocolate chip cookies. Pregnancy is as much about feeding your soul as it is feeding your body. So, eat the salad, the chicken breast, and whole wheat bread. But, don't go crazy trying to avoid the bowl of ice cream that you really want.


5. Pray for your baby. Ask God to give the baby a pleasant disposition. I learned this from a missionary to Mongolia from India. He told me to read the Psalms to my baby (I was pregnant with Luc at the time) and to ask God to give the baby a peaceful disposition. I liked that.



6. Get some fresh air everyday. Get outside to take a walk, a swim or even just to sit on a park bench. Breathe deeply and slowly--picking your baby up and putting the baby down with each breath from your abdomen.

7. Spend time daydreaming and talking about the baby--especially with your husband.


8. Pregnancy is a great time for romance with your husband. Stir it up and enjoy one another in every way.


9. Worship. I went to church tonight just for the singing-part. With my kids right down front we danced and jumped and sang and twirled until we were exhausted. Then we just sat and soaked in His presence. His love was so real and overshadowed me. I felt sort of like I was in the womb of God, surrounded by His love--just as my baby is in my womb and surrounded by my love. I think babies are sensitive to positive and negative feelings from their parents and even to good and bad spirits. So, surround yourself with the Holy Spirit every chance you get.

7 comments:

Flo Paris said...

People have asked me if my having had hyperemesis in my pregnancies would prevent me from having more children...

All I can say, is no!

It's funny--I mean, I threw up every day for 9 months with Sera--the first 5 months of my pregnancy with Amelie, I felt like I had food poisoning, but even those times seem sooooooo short compared to my whole life with them.

It's like labor, I mean...yes it's hard, but I got through it, and I just can't WAIT to be pregnant again someday and have another new person to get to know!

Karen Joy said...

I like your list, Daja.

I'm going to immediately apply #5. I do pray for my baby (I'm almost 32 weeks), but I haven't been praying for her disposition. In fact, I've been a wee bit scared over that. I have four children who are so special, very active, high-emotion, and total gifts from God. But, they're all incredibly stubborn and none of them are really sweet. Know what I mean? I have been SO hoping for a sweet, amiable child who is a blessing to those around her, and who will actually relax for a few minutes to let me contentedly hold her...

But this baby has become so crazy-active inside me that I find myself afraid that she's going to just simply be absolutely crazy.

~sigh~ I hope that doesn't sound bad.

I realize that there is some selfishness tied up in wanting a baby who is sweet, rather than one who wears me out, body, mind & spirit. The baby isn't just for me. I really do know that. And, afraid of being motivated poorly, I guess I haven't felt right about praying for her personality and disposition, because it would seem like I'm saying, "No thanks! A different one, please!!" to what God has given me.

But, I will start, right away, praying for my dear little baby's disposition.

(thinking about deleting this whole thing, because it's perhaps a bit to honest and revealing about my heart!!!!)

Gombojav Tribe said...

No, I totally get it, Karen! I've been there!

Debbie said...

Just stopping by to say thanks for signing up with Blog Around the World. I am getting ready to pick the winner of the gift card and wanted to let you know that you are in for two entries. Make sure to stop by daily to see the spotlighted state bloggers and/or guest bloggers! Happy Blogging!

PS...I love the last line in this post.

Lady Dorothy said...

Beautiful post! My third and last pregnancy felt the hardest....but, oh, to feel that feeling again!

Anonymous said...

HEEEYY!

Mrs. Anna T said...

What a sweet post. I'm 20 weeks along now, my first time around, and I just finished writing an email about why I love being pregnant :-)