I especially love it when my kids wake up. They come into the living room or kitchen all sleepy-eyed and warm. They hug me and say, "Morning, Mommy. What's for breakfast?" even though they know full-well, if it's a weekday, the answer is oatmeal.
Even more, I love worship time when the kids and I dance around the living room and "shout it out" to God. Then we find a place to lay down, close our eyes and "soak." (Which basically means we put on a quiet worship song and take time to listen to the Lord.)
I love tea time in the afternoon. I bring out some muffins, banana bread, or cookies. We all sip tea from lovely little delicate teacups (even the boys). It's our afternoon rest before tidying up from the many crafts, school project and general mess we make. Then we begin dinner preparations.
I love making dinner. I sometimes almost lose myself in the process--but then a child who desperately needs my opinion on a coloring matter rushes in and I know I'm not alone. That makes me smile.
But, my favorite time of day is when I hear Gana's rickety old truck coming in the driveway, his familiar heavy steps on the stairs, and his charming face peering in the back window. That's when I really smile. That's when my whole family is together. The kids rush to him, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!" From that moment on all moments are treasured. No matter if the day was stressful or if my pregnant body is tired, somehow we all know that everything is OK. No, actually, everything is good. Daddy's home.

The Blue Bowl
All day long I did the little things,
The little things that do not show;
I brought the kindling for the fire,
I set the candles in a row,
I filled a bowl with marigolds—
The shallow bowl you love the best—
And made the house a pleasant place
Where weariness may take its rest.
The hours sped on, my eager feet
Could not keep pace with my desire.
So much to do! So little time!
I could not let my body tire.
Yet when the coming of the night
Blotted the garden from my sight,
And on the narrow graveled walks
Between the guarding flower stalks
I heard your step, I was not through
With services I meant for you.
You came into the quiet room
That glowed enchanted with the bloom
Of yellow flame. I saw your face;
Illumined by the firelit space,
Slowly grow still and comforted—
“It’s good to be at home,” you said.
~ Blanch Bane Kuder
8 comments:
So sweet. My favorite time of day is when Josh gets home, or if I have the car, when I finally get to pick him up from work and we get to talk all the way home:)
I'd like to talk to all the people who either said
a) The first year of marriage is horrible, or
b) Just wait until we'd been married over 5 years with kids, because everything would change.
I guess things have changed, but they've only gotten better! There's still no one I'd rather spend my time with than the best friend I married, or with the sweet girls.
How far along are you now? I couldn't remember.
Our first year of marriage was actually kind of rough. We made it though and I wouldn't change our life now.
There's a pregnancy ticker at the bottom of the blog. I keep forgetting how far along I am, too!
As of today I'm 21 weeks and 3 days....but who's counting! :-)
What a sweet post. :) I enjoyed reading it very much!
Ah, what a perfect day filled with so many wonderful moments!
'From that moment on all moments are treasured. No matter if the day was stressful or if my pregnant body is tired, somehow we all know that everything is OK. No, actually, everything is good. Daddy's home.'
YES!!!! Exactly!!!!
What a wonderful post. :)
Blessings,
Ashley
www.homesteadblogger.com/Jonash2004
Hey,
I have to warn you about yoga. It used to be understood by Christians that yoga was eastern/new age and to be avoided. Now it's been revived by virtually everyone in the US, from Hollywood to the emergent church. But I have to say that two different people whom my husband and I highly respect have warned us of the spiritual origins of yoga. First, if you know of Derek Prince, he was raised in India and had to have deliverence after salvation because of his years there and the influence of his nanny. He had this to say when being asked about yoga--he had heard people say that when one sups with the devil, you must do so with a very long spoon. He retorted that there is no spoon long enough. Also, my husband had a lovely Christian student from India at ORU. I decided to ask her about Indian dance, which I adore, and about yoga. She said resoundingly that both are utterly hindu and each of the poses is a worship to a different god. She is Indian. She knows the dangers. I also came across this by a Hindu:
http://yogibabaprem.sulekha.com/blog/post/2006/10/there-is-no-christian-yoga.htm
RCG
Thank you, RCG, for your concern.
I don't hum or do any weirdness. I have a pregnancy yoga DVD with great stretches, kegel exercises, preparing the hips, belly and back for labor. It really helps manage my back pain.
I agree with you about the dangers of Eastern Religion. My husband was raised a Buddhist, so he is very leary of things that have even a hint of that spirituality about it. He picked this DVD for me because it's just exercise....no centering, clearing one's mind, humming, goddess stuff, etc.
But, I really do thank you for being so bold to bring your concern to my attention! That's a good friend!
Blessings,
Daja
Did God give you more hours in your day than He did mine? I want to do all that neat stuff, but it seems like I'm always running to keep up. :)
It's my desire to get up before my girls do...but that rarely happens. We need to start going to bed earlier. It's all about priorities and self discipline...of which I have not mastered.
Thanks for submitting your post!
Post a Comment