Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Friday, October 24, 2008

Viva la Difference?



There seems to be a trend among my generation to show extreme detachment over the American political process. I've heard incessant kvetching over the ugliness of the election year and how much they despise our two party system. Many claim to be undecided in their presidential vote and declare themselves independents.





I'm beginning to feel that this blasé, while trendy, displays a lack of passion that I cannot understand. If less than two weeks from a major election someone is still straddling the fence on the candidates or major issues, I think maybe they just lack the courage to pick a side.





Gana grew up with Communism. The day of the "peaceful revolution" he was in the square protesting for the right to free elections. The day the government caved his father tore up his communist party card in exultation. So, to those who see partisanship as what is wrong with our country, I'd like to just suggest that it is perhaps something that is RIGHT with our country. In other words, don't knock a two-party system until you've lived in a one-party system!





And how many times lately have we heard that there isn't a dime's worth of difference between political parties? The histories of the parties are definitely something to consider. And yet some responded to that post with, "Yeah, but that was then, this is now" as if roots means nothing as long as the plant looks pretty and as if foundations mean nothing as long as you install high quality windows and weather stripping. Again, let me just suggest that foundations and roots are actually important.




Differences in basic philosophies:



The corner of the Republican philosophy is the belief that every person is responsible for his/her own place in society.




Democrats believe that society is collectively responsible for each of its members, therefore the rights of individuals can be sacrificed for the good of the group.


Government and the Governed:



Republicans believe that government should be limited to doing things which individuals cannot do for themselves. The right to determine destiny lies in the hands of individuals. In the same vein, Republicans believe that power and resources are best handled by the people at local and state levels, rather than by the big centralized federal government.




Democrats believe in more federal controls and regulations and this often in the hands of unelected officials. In the Democratic Party platform of 1864 says that adherence to the Union is, "as the only solid foundation of our strength, security, and happiness as a people..."




Foreign Policy:



Republicans believe in maintaining a strong defense to deter any aggressor.




The Democratic Party puts foreign policy in foreign hands. The DNC Platform's section on Foreign Policy calls for doubling "our annual investment [in other countries] to $50 billion by 2012." The platform also calls for "Deepening Ties with Emerging Powers." "We also will pursue effective collaboration on pressing global issues among all the major powers–including such newly emerging ones as China, India, Russia, Brazil, Nigeria, and South Africa."




(Now I'm not cold-hearted nor ambivalent when it comes to helping others and fighting poverty. If you've been around the blog any length of time you know this. But, is that the job of federal government or a function of faith? And....Um....what about the blatant human rights violations in China? What about the rampant religious persecution in India? What about the antagonism of Russia towards other emerging democracies? Are these countries with which we should DEEPEN our ties?!)




Economic Policies:



Republicans believe in the competitive free-enterprise system. Individuals must be free to use their talents and own initiative.



Democrats believe that the economy is too complicated to be left solely to free-enterprise. They say that we are "entering an era of limitations" and must therefore lower our individuals economic expectations.




Government Spending and Taxes:


Because Republicans believe that the individual should control his government's pocketbook, they believe that tax increases should be voted upon by the people.




Democrats believe that it is the role of the federal government to regulate its own pocketbook, that is how and where funds should be spent. This takes the control from local municipalities.




H/T to the California GOP.




And a little more political history for ya, 'cause I think history matters:




The Republican Party was birthed in the 1850's by anti-slavery activists. In 1896 it was the Republican Party that pushed for a woman's right to vote. When the 19th Amendment was finally added to the constitution it was ratified by 36 States--26 of which were Republican controlled. Incidentally, the first woman to be elected to congress was a Republican. And now, what do you know?! The first woman to run in a major presidential ticket is a Republican!
[update: I had forgotten about Geraldine Ferrarro. So, that last sentence is not correct. Thanks for the correction, LD!]




Tell me again which is the party of the people????




4 comments:

Catherine R. said...

I see what you are saying, yet I could probably be described as one of the detached ones, I suppose.

It might have more to do with late pregnancy discomforts than anything actually LOL,.

But I do care. Of course the republican party is more sane than the dems but I am looking at 3rd party candidates now. Something I thought I'd never say. I have my reasons involving a leader's faith etc. and I don't want to push them on anyone.

But I guess I just wanted to say I am someone who does care even if it may not look like it. I may need more brain power than I currently have to write an articulate blog post about it : )

Zimms Zoo said...

It is becoming trendy to not be passionate about anything. We don't want to hurt people's feelings you know.

But I am extremely passionate about it I just don't blog it because hubby ask me not too long before this ever became an issue. (like last year).

My kids are going to grow up in this country and they are going to be affected by how this election turns out. That is enough to make me passionate!

Gombojav Tribe said...

I was not a political blogger until this election year. I guess my blood hit it's boiling point around January when I read about Obama and the BAIPA.

And since then.....well, I can't stop! I'm addicted! LOL!

And I keep thinking that all this political blogging is going to cause my readership to plummet, but instead it's gone up! Could it be that people are actually INTERESTED in our political opinions? Nah. It must be those occaisional posts of the Captain falling asleep at dinner! LOL!

Melanie said...

Tag!