There's no such thing as an ordinary woman.
I want to be beautifulAnd make you stand in aweLook inside my heartAnd be amazedI want to hear you sayWho I am is quite enoughI just want to be worthy of loveAnd beautiful.~Bethany Dillon, "Beautiful"
When women are still little girls they dress in frills and know they are ballerinas. They wear jewelry and know they are princesses. They have no doubt that they are lovely and are confident that others will delight in them as much as they delight in themselves.
Little girls can wear lace and mud at the same time and not doubt that they are personified perfection.
Little girls smell like lavendar and coconut and peanut butter and are good enough to eat. I have to refrain from licking Saraa sometimes.
As soon as a little girl can hold a brush she delights to comb her hair and to hear her daddy say, "Oooooo, so pretty."
When someone tells Saraa, "You're so beautiful!" she never says, "Nah, I'm not."
Little girls are free with their giggles and their tears, never stifling either.
Somewhere between toddlerhood and womanhood, women forget how lovely and loveable they are, describing themselves as frumpy and not fabulous, exchanging predictable for precious. They think they are.....ordinary.
But that little girl, who would be shocked to learn that the sun doesn't rise and set in her smile, is still there, inside. She's longing to look in the mirror approvingly, but somehow the reflection no longer looks like her--at least to her own eyes. There is a stranger there, instead.
The little girl's seemingly unshakeable faith in sparkle got lost. She allowed the world's message of what is beautiful to rewrite her internal dictionary. She doesn't look like a cover girl, a supermodel, or even the woman next door. Therefore, she must be flawed. Yes, that is what the world's dictionary says.
Hating to see those flaws, she hides behind clothes--a few sizes too big or a few sizes too small. She hides behind an extra coating of make-up or behind none-at-all. Yes, no mask, can be a mask. Thinking she must compensate for her lagging will or enthusiasm she disqualifies herself with words like old, ugly, not-smart-enough, untalented, tired......ordinary.
Poor little girl.
She is all of us. She is every woman who had dreams to be fantastic someday. She is every woman who wishes someone thought she was beautiful, she longs to hear those words.
Somewhere deep inside all of us, we know that we are worthy--if only someone would look. Somewhere deep inside we know that we are beautiful--if we don't have to be in a side-by-side comparison with Wonder Woman.
Dare we remember what it feels like to be whimsical, sparkly, adorable and precious?
Do we have the audacity to pair Cute with Mighty? Beautiful with Bold? Vulnerable with Fearless?
Can we tell the world to stick their dictionary you-know-where, because we'd perfer to use our own? Or better yet to use God's?
"Who is she who looks forth as the morning,
Fair as the moon, Clear as the sun,
Awesome as an army with banners?"
Song of Solomon 6:10
"...you have captivated my heart
with one glance of your eyes,
with one jewel of your necklace."
with one glance of your eyes,
with one jewel of your necklace."
Song of Solomon 4:9
"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous--and how well I know it."
Psalms 139:14
"So the King will greatly desire your beauty;
Because He is your Lord, worship Him."
Psalm 45:11
It's scary. We all know it. I don't know how your conversation goes, but mine goes like this:
What if.
What if I re-discover that little girl and no one likes her? Or worse no one understands her.
What if I decide to be myself and that means that I have to be myself all by myself?
They say the "I'm enough" or "God's enough."
How can I trust that that is true.
Ordinary and with others. Alone and unordinary. Are those my two choices?
Then the time came when the risk it took
To remain tight in a bud was more painful
Thank the risk it took to blossom.
--Anais Nin
If I could look you in the eye, sister, and not just at this computer screen, I would tell you without flinching, that you are beautiful. You are worth knowing. You are marvelously created by God's own hands. He delights in you. If you dare to believe it the truth will set you free. Free to have that unshakeable belief you once had as a little girl.
12 comments:
Daja...
I know you wrote this post for me. I can't tell you how many times I read over it and cried. Just because about everyone who *should* love and care for me doesn't want to be around me, doesn't *necessarily* make me unloveable by God. Though maybe I act that way sometimes. You're right; it's way easier than trying and being disliked. Again. :)
I'd be lying if I said you weren't part of the inspiration for this post. But, actually, you are just part of it. God has been shaking some things up in my soul lately--through reading, and unexpected conversations, and a marriage class Gana and I just took. Things keep forcing me to go places that......well, I haven't visited in a while.
So, actually, I should thank you. For being a part of God's work in my heart lately.
*mwah*
Wow. I don't have adequate words. You really made me stop and think. I need to read this a few more times, and think some more. Thanks so much for this post!
Oh, and I can't believe sweet Saraa is so big. She's dancing?!
Sweet Daja,
Thanks for this post, it has been stirring in me too, and I have been quite fighting with this fight, especially since coming from the States. I felt like there was so much freedom there than in Mongolia, people were free with their speeches, attitudes, and they knew they were princesses and princes, or was it just you and your family:) because of my only close connection there was with you.. I am not quite sure.
Here in Mongolia, people are so consumed with others and they can't let someone just be themselves. They are so consumed with others' clothing, conversation and everything
and one thing they know is letting others down... If you don't have model's body and if you didn't
wear trendy clothes, it is like you are not worth to look at. I have been thinking about this lately,and I know my belief doesn't have to shake in any way, doesn't have to be impacted with others' letting me down. And I know this is my fight for now for me and for others. Everybody has this kind of fear here, and it is really a frustrating thing to see. This post is just for the right time for me;) thanks for your sense.
Wow, this is really well-written, Daja. I love it and can see how many women can identify with it and how touching it is. I hope I do not "burst your bubble" by telling you I can relate to it very little. I CAN through the eyes of my little girl, though. SHE has the experience of feeling safe, beautiful, a perfect little princess in whom others completely delight.
I, however, never had that experience, so I cannot "re-discover" something I never experienced in the first place. It's bittersweet; something I simultaneously grieve (my huge loss/lack) and yet rejoice in (the fact my daughter has it in abundance!). All I can say is that I'm incredibly grateful I did not give up on the promises of God, even though the "reality" in the natural world said the opposite - and were much more convincing to my frame of reference.
I'm grateful God has healed me a LOT & I am able to impart to my babies the unconditional love & safety I never experienced. It has been very redemptive thus far and I'm sure it will continue to be...
Thanks for sharing, Daja - you have a solid grasp of Kingdom life and it's delightful to hear your thoughts & perspective. Keep 'em coming!
When God downloaded this post to me, I did ask, "What about those who weren't raised as princesses?"
So, there may be another post coming.....we'll see. The message is still stirring around my heart.
I'm so glad that you are raising your children to know who they are. Isn't it wonderful to raise children who are free of the bondages we carried into adulthood? Thank the Lord.
btw, how are you feeling these days, Brett? Hopefully by now your energy has returned! I love following your belly on FB! :-)
Beautiful-beautiful-beautiful, Daja! I am sharing with all the women I can!!! Thank you for opening your heart & letting the contents pour out, to inspire the rest of us. Love you!!
Don't want to downplay this deep post, but...
MY SARAA IS SSSSSUUUUGGGAAAARRRYYYY!!!!!
YUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!
Kiss her for me, LOTS, Swee!
Enjoyed! Well said, thanks,
Janette
Wow!! I read your blog often but I just had to say thanks this time. Keep writing. God bless you and your family.
Such sweet pics...makes me want to kiss that baby (and sad that I can't :(, she is such a little princess!
How Darling!
Post a Comment