
The dearest little boy who touched all our lives in so many ways passed away on Saturday. It happened without any warning and has taken us all by surprise. When I heard the news I sat in my rocking chair and wept until Gana came into the room and held me.
I wish I had a script writer or had prepared something to say, because then we had to tell the children. Luc didn’t really understand. Israel did somewhat, but didn’t really get the full idea. Meg has taken it quite differently.
I took her with me to the grocery store later. She said, “Mom, I’m going to miss him Philip.” I said, “I know, honey. Me, too. He is with Jesus now. He is not hurting anymore. Someday we will see him again and be with him again.”
Meg said, “I know, Mom. But, I just want him the way he was.” How does she always manage to sum up exactly how I feel?
Little Phillip and me at his first costume birthday party.
Without an eternal perspective I do not know how anyone can move on from something like this. I long for the day when the last enemy, Death, is defeated. I long for the day when we see Death swallowed up in victory. “O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory?” (I Corinthians 15:55)
Thankfully we do, and his parents do, have an eternal perspective. They know whom they have believed. They have known the Lord as their Savior, Healer, Friend, Brother. Now they have an opportunity to know Him by faith as the Resurrection and the Life. Jesus promises, “I am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes on Me, though he were dead, yet shall He live.” (John 11:25)
In the meantime, I still wish I had a script writer, to convey to my dear friends all my love and support and my grieving with them without giving them any sage advice or little clichés. ‘Cause the truth is that none of us really understand this process of death and life and why someone lives to be a hundred and why someone is with us only two years. The greatest theologian can do no better explanation or give any more comfort to someone grieving than simply saying, “I’m so sorry.” And just being there. I just wish there was more I could do.
I will leave my little friend’s picture here and post no more this week. If you check my blog, please say a prayer for his family and all his friends who must now adjust to life without a bundle of sunshine, named Phillip.
Paul and Leona with their beautiful boys, Lil Paul and Phillip
Worshipping the Lord at the Revival Center
A Sunday morning nap at church




4 comments:
Phillip, I miss you. I love you so much.
Meg
I love you, Phillip.
Luc
I miss you, Phillip. I love you so much. When I die, I will see you again.
Love,
Israel
Today is a year later. My heart is in my throat and tears are in my eyes.
May God bless all of us with a good day of remembering his smile.
Post a Comment