Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Blog o' the Week

My kids are scared to go to Wal-Mart. Well, maybe not the older ones. They don't fear so much as they start getting preachy and rebuking stuff. This is because as you walk in our local Wal-Mart there is a big skeleton with red eyes that light up while the thing cackles and arms reach for you.

How anyone thinks it's fun to scare children once a year is beyond me.

This is why your Blog o' the Week post goes to Mama Says for her post on why her family doesn't celebrate Halloween.

It begins: "This post is for all of those people out there who simply cannot believe we don't pay $20 for a cheap costume, then let our small children browbeat our neighbors into giving them candy, so they can gorge themselves and end up grounded for a week due to their poor behavior...."

It only gets more enlightening and entertaining. Check it out!

2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I avoid that whole section. What's sad is if I want to buy some candy, it's all spooky-fied. It's hard to find nice, plain candy without ghoulish junk on it. We even bought a dozen donuts, and they looked just FINE until we got them home and realized that there were very, VERY small ghosts all over them inside the sprinkles.

But I do make an effort to avoid that whole thing. I'm going to be doing a Reformation Day thing instead like you suggested though... in our house... we're going to have chocolate pudding pie and Martin Luther colouring sheets.

Did you know I went to Wittenberg University? Yes, it's in Springfield, Ohio, LOL!!! But at least I know how to spell "Wittenberg" and about every Reformation Day post I see on the web has it mis-spelled.

Blessings!

Mrs. C

Anonymous said...

We don't do Halloween, either. The more I think about it, the more it just seems wrong on just about every level. It's a celebration of all the things that I spend all year mothering against! Fear, overindulgence, hiddenness, unkindness, grotesqueness... Ugh. And, yet, we're the "weird ones" because we don't participate.

Usually, my husband takes the older kids to a local church event on the evening of the 31st. It has bouncies, pony rides, various midway-type games, and enough candy to make my kids satisfied, but not so much that they'd get gorged on it. And, usually, I stay home with the youngest and hand out candy to neighborhood kids.

Part of me wants to TOTALLY rebel against this twisted norm and just not do anything, rather like my parents did. But, I'm not quite as rigid as they were, and, frankly, I'm happy for my kids to have a free "carnival" they can go to, once a year.