Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Holidays With Friends

We have started a tradition with my parents to handle the holidays. This year all of us (my brother and his family, my sister and her family, my grandparents, my aunt, my parents and the Tribe) got together for Thanksgiving. Christmas we all went to to extended families or planned our own celebrations. Next year it will be reversed--we will be on our own for Thanksgiving and Christmas we'll all be together at my parents' home.

This year we were blessed to have our friends, the O'Carrolls from Wisconsin come to visit us. This brought the children under the age of seven count to nine! Needless to say it was blessed chaos! Here are some highlights:

Trying to get a picture by the fountain at church on Christmas Sunday. (The little girl in the polka dots is our god-daughter Zaia.)

Left to right, Luc, Zaia, Meg with Belgee on her lap, Anna, Israel, Melissa, Captain (the O'Carrolls god-son) and Joe.

Christmas morning and a new toothbrush. Ahhhh....life is sweet!

Playing at the park at Fuller Seminary.


Sometimes Mommy needs a rest.








Here are some of the kids playing in the lower lobby on the "fire carpet" of the Ambassador Auditorium:



We rang in the New Year with the O'Carroll family as well as Mary Beth and Rob. As is our tradition, we had Mongolian food. Then, as midnight drew near we got out the chocolate chips cookies. We each ate one before midnight and one after--because a year that begins and ends with a chocolate chip cookie cannot be all that bad!

On New Year's Day just after going to sleep at about 1:30am, I got called to a birth. So, I abandoned my company and family and was privileged to welcome a new baby into the world! A new baby for a year of new beginnings!

The whole houseful went to the Rose Parade without me. I was home by late afternoon, but exhausted.

Thankfully, Mary Beth and Rob came back the next day so Mary Beth and I could go out for tea. Notice my large scarf worn indoors. That would be to hide the rather large bite mark, which looked like a huge hickey, on my neck left by my client during second stage labor. Ahhhh, the life of a doula!


We had a lovely time sipping tea, nibbling delicate tea sandwiches and scones with devonshire cream. There is no pleasanter way to spend an afternoon than dear old friends and sweet tea.

We had a very fun, blessed, and peaceful holiday. "Peaceful?!" you say. "There were nine kids and a total of 15 people in your tiny apartment!" What can I say? Where there is friendship, love, and the presence of God, there is peace.

"The soul is healed by being with children." Fyodor Dostoyevsky

6 comments:

Claire said...

That sounds amazing, Daja! I don't think I knew all those folks were here during Christmas. How fun!

I tagged for a meme. :-)

Thank you for the explanation about the scarf. I saw the mark the other day, and was afraid to ask.

Sarah said...

Daja, thanks for the photos of the O'Carrols. I have been wondering how they were doing since their last blog post. They are some of those rare people that I knew for only a brief period of my life, but they hugely impacted who I am today as a wife, mother, and lover of Jesus. It is great to see how happy they look, and how big the kids have gotten.

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

You got BITTEN!?? Is that a usual thing? I've been ornery and nasty in labour, but I've never kicked or bitten anyone.

Anonymous said...

That's what I was thinking, too: Bitten??? Not a Bradley mom, eh??

Still, though -- every baby welcomed into the world is so sweet, so precious.

Just tonight, my oldest (he's 10) and I were reminiscing about our own Christmas, where my brother's three boys (plus one of their friends) spent the night. So, we had a houseful of seven boys and one girl, and that little girl was PUKING Christmas night. But, it's still such lovely, happy memories that remain of our Christmas, chock-full with friends and children. :)

Tamera - aka TJ said...

Sounds like you all had such fun. Caesar is getting so big. When I compare he and Joshua's, I feel like I'm raising a jolly green giant. Oh well, I guess he'll have to play basketball. :) JK!

Christine Fiscer, Birthkeeper said...

mm hmm...how do we know it wasn't actually a love bite from New Year's Eve? ; ) LOL

Sounds like you had an amazing time. Daja, you make motherhood look so easy and peaceful. You really do.