A looooong time ago, The Happy Homebody tagged me for a meme to take a picture of my favorite things--things that make our home beautiful or functional. At the time my digital camera was broken, so I couldn't do it. Then we got a new one, but it seems like I just never got around to doing it, even though I loved the idea.
So, yesterday I finally took a bunch of pictures. It is rather remarkable how many of my favorite things revolve around my beverage consumption.
My espresso/cappuccino machine, which I just got for my birthday from my mom and dad. There's just something magical about frothing your own milk.
"Haluun Sav" from Mongolia. These wonderful decorative thermoses (or should that be thermi?) keep my water hot for two days! I can have tea ready for guests in an instant. When we have Bible studies here I use the blue one for coffee and the pink one for hot water for tea.
This beautiful cup is ginormous. Great for ingesting large amounts of caffeine and feeling pretty while doing it! This was a Valentine's Day gift from my mom and dad. They sure know how to pick presents for me, don't they?!
Bonne Maman jars. I don't have a lot of brand loyalties. This may be the only one. This jam is really good with no artificial colors and no high fructose corn syrup. And the best part it that it comes in this adorable jar! These are our usual drinking glasses. It's handy to have the lid in case a child doesn't finish his drink. No waste! Just pop it in the fridge! I also use these for storing leftovers, taking drinks for picnics, giving gifts, collecting coins, keeping the kids' counting beans, etc. But, wait there's more! (said in my best infomercial voice) The beauty of reusing jam jars for your drinking glasses is if one breaks your heart doesn't break with it.
For meals and occasions that don't include milk or juice, these are my stemware. Just looking at them make me smile. The picture doesn't do them justice. They are so pretty and feel really good in your hand. The feel of a glass is really important, you know.
OK, here are my favorite things that don't involve coffee, tea, juice or wine:
Gana gave me this Willow Tree figurine a few years ago. It's how pregnancy feels at its best. The mother is lovingly protecting her baby. So beautiful. So peaceful. Tranquility. Gana totally knows me. It is this protective and protected and serene feeling that makes me addicted to pregnancy.
This tapestry hangs on my wall. It's from the home of someone from the Kazakh tribe in Mongolia. It's all hand done without a pattern. The date is embroidered in: 1968. Our good friend whom we call Chief brought it from Northern Mongolia for us. It makes me feel connected to Mongolia, even far away. I also think of the little Mongolian woman who likely made this. As is tradition, she probably started on it as a teenager in preparation for her marriage and finished sometime years and year later. Her diligence and skill inspire me. If this wall could speak.....
What home with six children could be complete with The Chore Chart! It's magnetic, so notice the timer stuck to it. Time limits on chores are as important as the chart itself!
My library/farmer's market bag. I'm Gaga to my most beautiful nephews.

Flour Sack Towels. I'm very particular about kitchen towels. My favorite ones are fuzz free, so I can use them to lay cookies fresh from the oven, cover food or drain bacon without getting fibers in the food! I also like white towels and dishcloths. This makes them bleachable and they look nice much longer.
Sharing the meme love, I tag Lady Dorothy, Generation Cedar, Serena, and Cantare. What are your favorite things?
6 comments:
Great list. You picture are good. Those towels make me want to use them as pillow. They look so fluffy. Your stemware is beautiful. I like those reusable jam jars too.
♥
Joy
I love that you did this and with such flair! She tagged me too, but at the time I couldn't think of anything.
I am a minimalist (nice name for OCD) and I don't collect anything or have lots of pretty stuff. But I do have things that make me feel better or that I enjoy looking at and I need to do it someday.
I love the cup, towels, and coffee machine. But what I really like is the chore chart. Where did you get that? I have one on the menu planner just for the kitchen, but I sure could use one for everything else. My 12 yo is highly distractable and I have to set a timer to encourage diligence and finishing in a timely manner. That is such a great idea!
I got the chore chart at a children's store (one that carried baby furniture, overpriced clothes and expensive wooden toys). :-)
But, I have seen them other places. Maybe a toy or book store? I've had this one for several years.
Great meme! I will TRY to do it soon! :-)
I loved all your pictures!
Oooh, I love the tapestry, and your thoughts about it.
i like the jam jar idea..cool...i also sooo need that chore chart...
Post a Comment