Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Friday, December 11, 2009

A stranger said to me.....

It's amazing what strangers say to people in the store! If you've been out grocery shopping with your large family you know exactly what I mean! It seems that with Christmas shopping the comments have only increased!

This fun family made me laugh out loud!!!




P.S. If you don't have a large family and have been tempted to make any similar comments to strangers, I hope this video gives you pause. Trust me, we've heard it all before. The "ha-ha" is only a courtesy laugh.

6 comments:

Marianne Elixir said...

I can't even imagine the comments larger families must receive when I know the comments I receive just with 3 (in a town where two is nearly indulgent because, you know, over population and all that jazz). My favorite so far was "so when's the next one due" when I am clearly NOT pregnant and nursing a 6-week-old.

Ganeida said...

Yep. Heard them all before. They do leave home though. Now I enjoy the shocked looks when people realise there's more than just the two I have with me! ☺

Alice said...

LOVE this video clip!!!!! I may just have to post it! I have heard a good few of those myself and yet I don't feel four kids is that many now. It's huge in my local area, but after soaking myself in the online fellowship of many many families with a lot more than 4 children, four seems just about middle-sized to me! ;)

Lena said...

A good one... Thanks! It is funny how people think that just because I have three children that I should be done in having children... Yes and people make comments even to me, with only 3 children... Amazing times we live in. :)

Joy said...

So just how do you afford it and are you having more???

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I love all these big families. This was really funny. Love the Von Tone Deaf part at the end. Cracked me up.
♥
Joy

Anonymous said...

I've never gotten any negative comments about our family. Even tho we're not "permanently" a large family, we have been large off & on, with the foster babies. I've brought 8 babies home from the hospital in my lifetime & brought one home at 11 weeks of age... the most we've had at one time is our birth children, girl-16 at the time; boy-11 at the time; adopted daughter-18 mos at the time; foster daughter-newborn at the time; my man and I-42 at the time.

But we've gotten a lot of very negative "looks" when we've gone into certain parts of the state, as a bi-racial family (our adopted daughter is AA). Our area of northwest Indiana is absolutely wonderful for diversity and acceptance of it (we're 45 mi from Chicago... a very liberally diverse city)... but if we go just 90 miles southwest of us, into "Amish country", we are just about made to drink out of a different water fountain!! The Amish are EXTREMELY intolerant of racial diversity in families... at least in our neck of the woods. When our oldest was attending a Mennonite college for 2.5 yrs we frequently were in that part of the state and it was NOT a very pleasant experience. So I can relate, Daja, and you have my heartfelt apologies for all the ignorant people in the world who have treated you wrongly.

Love you~ Andrea
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo